Sunday, October 04, 2009

Treasure chest

[picture: Shinya in action, the fantastic drummer of Dir en Grey]

I went through my usual summer cleaning binge. I threw away stuff, recycled old magazines, gave books and items to friends or charity, recycled old letters from people I no longer am in contact with. Suddenly, while being amidst a mountain of torn paper I stopped fully, because I found a small pile of letters. They were the letters my fictional characters had written to the characters of another lady. We intended to write stories together but this never happened as she was ill and we eventually lost contact fully. But the letters were there; I had kept copies. First letter I came across was the one gentle Sergios had written to one of her vampire characters. I paused and re-read it.

It is hard for another person to understand why a writer may feel the way they do about a particular character. After all they are not real, right? But Sergios is or rather was me. All my characters are pieces of my personality, facades of what I am, was or could be. And as such I love them more than I love my own two hands. My hands will wither and rot one day, but my characters are immortal; they are the closest thing I have to a soul.

I stood for a while. Remembered all the things I know about my dear Sergios. Felt very depressed because he belongs to a different story line and the copyrights for that world belong to a company, so I can never have anything published. I wallowed in my misery for a little while and eventually scolded myself because I once more remembered what any serious magic practitioner of magic (and anyone familiar with the fundamentals of physics) must not forget: energy is NEVER lost. It changes form but never vanishes. The solution had been there all along: I slapped my forehead and concentrated, then called upon the Liberating One and handed them all to Him. There you go, these are my creations, the closest thing I have to a legacy. Take the old characters, the undeveloped stories, all those "what ifs" that will never take place in any world and return them all to the Heart, the Creator/Creatrix. Let Him/Her have it all back. They were once born in dreams, I now return them all to the Womb of dreams to be transmuted and reborn and returned to me to a new form. He naturally was only too happy to do this, and I was not happy at all (because I am such a insecure, sentimental sucker) but felt released. I bet that if a child was looking at the sky that night they would see this flock of multicoloured pegasi passing by and vanishing in the black horizon...

Ahhh, what the hell. Some things are never meant to be. Back to my boring life of blowing up reality, snuggling with Archangels, scratching Yahweh's face because he kept bugging me and showing me his hurt nail, slapping the asses of Japanese rock superstars silly because they won't let me be, fondling the Babylon whore and lending her money and getting into the pants of my female email pals in dragon form during my sleep. Now, if only I could figure out a way to win half a million euro, it would simplify my life a lot but spare me none of the drama.

2 comments:

Ludicrous said...

That's right.

By the way, it's funny: I went into the same tidying impulse just a few weeks earlier. I just couldn't dare go into the "fictional" boxes and managed to stay "epistolarian". The feeling of dislocation was all the more perverse though: when I read some of the letters I received a while ago, I remembered who I was back then.
Weird feeling. Being dislocated by time while staying in your own body.

By the way, it's strange: there's a warning from Google now, when I click on your blog! Explicit content. It seems the Web is getting Americanized - they need put that warning everywhere - their taboo-enhancing impulse over all countries. *sigh*

Bruno said...

My dear, both you and Ludi are right... It's weird how it's possible to go back in time and space, while we're staying in our own body.

And I can exactly understand how you feel about your beloved Sergios. I also feel the same about Angel, my main character in my old fictions, I'm trying to rewrite for a while, but I haven't been able to. I am wanting to, but not just rewriting. I wanna see if I can do like Picasso in my writings. Try to write with my youth's innocence, but giving some mature touch to my work.

I posted a last entry, a while ago, as my friend Bruno (he's Bruno too and I call him of husband. Me and Marta /(his girlfriend) we share him!! xD Just a funny stupid joke!!) klet me use his desktop. My laptop is broken and I can't use internet, so I worte a new letter, replying to your e-mail... :) I said I am trying to write some poems in English though I am not liking mthe results. I can't express that well in English, as in Portuguese. I sgned the Englsih poems with Angel, my beloved Angel, my main character. He's like my alter ego... Some day,. the woman that's ready to born within me, will sign some of my other works... My alter egos, are like other personalities of me... When I am more mad, or happier, I use to say I am Angel. Bruno is just the saddened side of me. It's like if the body was just the package and all my soul was those two persons, till now: Bruno and Angel.

I can understand you perfectly and I know you understand me in the way I talk, write or do anything in my works... You know my art, my creations are my fortress, my castles, protecting me from enemies. Protecting me from reality...

I hope to send you the letter soon, ok, my dear?? I also hope we don't lose the touch as well, but I feel we won't... I will write you very often, write a letter or an e-mail, not wishing to get an answer back. I am not wanting to pressure you write me back, all I want is that you understand I am alive and I love you really much, to lose you. I want to show you how important you are for me, I wanna share some event of my life with you and all tat not expecting an answer, don't worry!!

I loved the stuffs you sent me, hope you know that... My lack of answer to your e-mail is just because I have no battery on laptop and it's charger burnt with an electrical problem in the building I live at (not exactly the laptop itself).

Your little silly boy,

Bruno