Monday, May 28, 2012

Trouble is an old friend of mine

Beautiful drawing by http://egosun.deviantart.com

I am looking for trouble in all the right places. And trouble finds me, kisses me on the cheek and shrugs. And I shrug too.
-Well met, Trouble.
-Well met, Elizabeth. How are you?
-“I am so screwed over” is the right answer. But you know that. I mean, we have just met. You’re supposed to be Trouble, not my aunt Helen. Don’t ask me things that are self-explanatory.
-Trying to be polite, Trouble replies. Never knew it went out of fashion. So, we cut to the chase then.
-Oh yes, we do.
-How do you want the chase to be this time? Trouble asks.
-Anything that does not involve chasing my own tail is fine, love.
Trouble hears that and doubles over with laughter.
-Are you plainly fucking delirious? He asks. We are talking about a male fairy here. Don’t tell me you don’t know what they are like. From all the things under the face of the good-ol' sun, you collided with one of the most whimsical, hedonistic, lying, obsessing, overindulging, sex-addicted races. And you don’t need me to tell you how murder is also their cup of tea, at least for some of them.
-Naga are the exact same thing, only they have scales and the ones I know don’t like to lie or kill, I interrupt Trouble playing smart ass. He snorts.
-Same difference to me. Are we talking about the fairy here or your collection of Naga acquaintances?
I shrug.
-So tell me about fairies.
-Come on, Trouble protests. You know everything about fairies. You have written half a book about one. You had picked the murderous type for the book, but other than that, there is nothing I can say you don’t know already.
-What do I do then?
-I don’t know, Trouble says. Run? Hide? Begin a stamp collection? It’s all the same to me. If I need to find you, I know where to look. My address book is always up to date.
I curse lowly. Trouble never lies.
-Do you think that I have some hope to get out unscathed?
-Ha, Trouble sniggers. I am the wrong one to ask concerning that. My job is to flay your skin, not give you advice. And he smiles a smile full of dagger-like teeth. 
I nod.
-You’re right. I am sorry. So, we begin?
-It has already begun, Trouble says and looks outside, then at his watch. He kisses me on the cheek again and I can swear this being smells like the tastiest thing ever draped over a rotting carcass.
-I am sure I’ll dodge you this time, I say seriously. I am certain the danger has passed. 
Trouble smiles his sweet dagger-collection smile and lights a cigarette.
-We’ll see about that, he murmurs.
-Goodnight Trouble.
-Goodnight Elizabeth.

No comments: